Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Headphones, earbuds, yurbuds

Here is where I will review headphones, and earbuds because it seems I'm going to be having problems in this department.

My first pair was, of course the little white ones that came with my iPhone.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  Those stylish little wires that snake around your neck and into your pocket attached to your iPod.  I don't know how long people wore those things until somebody finally said "this shit hurts"...To make them stay in your ears you have to wedge them in as deep as possible to the chagrin of every ear nose and throat doctor ever who tells you never to put anything smaller than your elbow inside your ear.    Remember the kid in grade school who got the bean stuck in his ear?  That guy..yeah, don't be him.

So even with those little white things crammed into your ears, when you get really sweaty, they fall out.  How can something be wedged into your ear so tight it hurts pop out when it gets sweaty?  It's not fair.


So some friends recommended the Yurbud.  These little blue boogers will set you back about 30 bucks, but if they work and are comfortable, its worth it right?  My friend who works at the running store carefully measured my ear and helped me select the right size.  They come in sizes ya know.   Cool, right?

So I popped these into my iPod and performed the little twist maneuver to get them set securely in my ear and started off on a very hot afternoon.  Well, they were great!  They sounded good, they felt good, they stayed in.  I used them for several more runs until at the end of one particularly hot sweaty run I went to pull them out of my ears, and the right one came out ok, but the left one, when I pulled on it, the speaker part came out, but the rubberized contoured speaker cover that sets in your ear stayed!  I was that kid with the bean stuck in his ear!  I stopped and panicked a little and finally pulled the thing out.  I worked to get the rubber cover back over the speaker and thought I was successful at repairing it, but on my next run the speaker fell out again and the rubber stayed.  Again I fixed it and again it fell out.  Now the whole thing keeps falling out of my ear.  Just the left ear, the right ear works great.

So again I'm in search of a new pair of earbuds.  I'm reluctant to go back to the running shoe store because I'm embarrassed at what a mess I made of the yurbuds...  Oh well.  We'll see what happens next.  I hope to try skullcandy or another brand next.  I'll let you know.


Update!

Still using the Yurbuds.  It appears that if the blue cover comes off and you have to put it back on, you have to pay attention to the rotation of the blue thing on the bud.  If the blue thing is not lined up properly, the stem of the earbud will not be positioned correctly on the outside of your ear and that little thing at the base of your ear can push the earbud out.  So ...if your having this problem experiment with the rotation of the blue thing on the bud....it helped me....

No comments:

Post a Comment