Thursday, January 31, 2013

Homemade vegetable juice - frozen!

So one of the issues with juicing is the mess and cleanup involved in just making a glass of juice.  Ok, here is my solution.  I plan to make a lot of juice at one time and freeze it!  I know NOBODY else has thought of this...(insert sarcasm font here)

Last night I had a lot of vegetables and berries I needed to juice because they were simply going to go bad in my refrigerator if I did not use them.   I had a bunch of kale, celery, some carrots, a cucumber, strawberries and blueberries.  It was the kale and strawberries I was most concerned about.  I had to juice right away.  I pulled out all the juicer parts, assembled the thing and prepped my vegetables.  I'm still getting used to how much juice vegetables make and did not pull out everything at once to start with.

I also had half an orange and an apple from the pantry.

I started juicing and realized the vegetables I had washed were only going to fill up half my pitcher.  So I washed ALL my carrots and added them.  All in all I had:

half a head of celery
10 small carrots
a bunch of kale
one peeled cucumber
a thumb of ginger
 half an orange
one apple
about 5 strawberries
about half a cup of blueberries

Then after I tasting it I decided to add another orange and an apple.  Then my pitcher was finally full. I had purchased tiny Glad Freezer containers to freeze my juice in, they are half a cup each and this pitcher full easily filled all 8 containers.  Popped them in the freezer and now I can take them to work all week!

I'm actually having my first glass of frozen juice now and it tastes great!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment