Monday, January 28, 2013

New Food Discoveries!

Hey! So, with the LA marathon behind me I'm am looking to my training for my next two adventures!  I need to train and train hard for these next two races...I mean do things I have not done before such as leap tall buildings in a single bound...Shoot webs from my wrists and fly around the earth in reverse to turn back time. 

Well maybe not...but the leaping tall buildings may not be far off.

I need to be as physically fit as I possibly can be for these next adventures and I have started to look at how I can add better nutrition into this formula. 

Ok, I'll be honest.  I am a calorie scrutinizer.  I did lose a lot of weight and know how calories add up and how much it takes to burn them.  I don't always use this knowledge and sometimes I don't always eat the best that I can.  I do however avoid fast foods.  I can't remember the last time I was inside a McDonalds restaurant, or a Wendy's or a Burger King for that matter.  Subway is my drug of choice for fast eats.  Panera bread gets a lot of my money as well as the sushi counter at Fresh Market.

There is one area where I need improvement....snacks and vegetables.  I don't eat many vegetables.  I don't know why.  It's not that I don't like them, it's just they require a lot of prep and thinking and sometimes after a long run or a long day at work I don't want to think or prep...I want to wield chopsticks like a Ninja.

So I decided I needed to figure out some way to take advantage of the vast spring bounty that is about to cover this great state here. 

After hearing a story on NPR about where your Fresh-Never-Frozen-Not-From-Concentrate juice actually comes from, I decided that maybe juice would be something to make for myself, since I can't even trust a simple Florida Orange.

Now the goal is to supplement the diet without adding a whole lot of calories.  I don't plan to fast or detox or do any of those trendy west coast diet schemes you see on TV.  I just want to add some health.

So I began a search for juicers.  I asked friends, did a face book query and searched the internet.  In my internet searching I noticed that for some reason people were compelled to juice on YouTube.  This was great actually because I could see all the different juicers and how they worked, and one that seemed to stand above the crowd was the Breville Juice Fountain. 

This juicer apparently was featured in a documentary by an Australian called Fat, Sick and Almost Dead.  This guy was the typical sporty college student who eat everything as a young person relying on his youth, testosterone,  and physical activity to keep healthy then got old, got a fast paced career and the beer gut to go with it.  After gaining lots of weight and a painful chronic disease he decided to go to the extreme and drink nothing but juice for 60 days.  Of course he lost weight. What do you expect when you exchange a 5000 calorie diet for a 1200 calorie diet...  He also reduce the amount of steroids he had to take to control his chronic disease.  Well I'm not sure how steroids are prescribed but that could have something to do with the fact he weighed less...  I have not seen the documentary but I'm reading his book.  He does the juice fast in the United States for some reason instead of his native Australia.  I guess he feels he needs to impart all his new found nutritional wisdom on the fat Americans, while Australia is number two in obesity and closing the gap quickly.

Anyway, none of this negates the fact that he is using a really great juicer.  So after seeing the videos and reading reviews I decided on the Juice Fountain. 

I took my lunch on a Friday and went to Best Buy to pick it up.  The next morning armed with a bunch of random fruits and veggies from Fresh Market I began my juicing chapter and of course had to ...just Had to record this for You Tube.

Now when you watch this please keep in mind this was first thing in the morning and I woke up with terrible allergies.  I sniffled a lot and did not realize it until I watched the thing later.  So sorry about that.  But anyway here goes...


So anyway,  I'll be posting more and putting some recipes out here of my more successful endeavors.

And I'll get to training!

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment