Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Today I went for a run...

At least once a week I have to try to get out in the middle of the day for a daytime run downtown.  I work downtown so I have easy access to the Rivertrail.  My office is about three blocks from the river.

So normally I change clothes in my office, charge my Garmin in the window of my co-workers office, then sneak down the back stairway out the employee exit.  My route takes me west on the road in front of my office then across the broadway bridge.  This bridge is very old and is scheduled for demolition and rebuild soon.

This week began with warm humid temperatures.  If you live in the south and you start to have warm humid temperatures in January you know trouble is coming.  So yesterday evening we had the trouble in the form of storms and a tornado touchdown as a huge storm passed over Arkansas.  Behind all this trouble comes the cold.  This morning it was still warm, and through the day the temperatures were slated to drop so when I looked at my weather ap and saw the drop from 47 degrees to 46 degrees in 10 minutes I decided I had better get my run in immediately. 

I left out of my office and rounded the corner to go west and immediately felt the driving force bringing in the cold.  The winds were whirling between the buildings at gale force.  I pushed through and crossed the street, the flags were being yanked against their ropes and whipped back again. People passed me with coats, hats and scarves pulled close against their heads and necks and they eyed me strangely. 

As I turned North on Broadway I passed a group of young girls and as they walked passed struggling in the wind I heard one say "Yeah, Like I'm going to go for a jog today"  Well whatever.  First of all I don't know how jogging pertains to anything I'm doing.  What is "jogging" exactly?  How did it come to even be associated with the act of running?  I thought to myself, "Of course you won't because your not like me" 

At this point the wind came from behind and it was pushing me forward.  I increased my stride to take advantage of the little bit of lift provided.  I felt like I would take off into the sky at any time. I approached the bridge and started to cross, I was whipped around in all directions which was a little scary when teetering on a sidewalk over a white capping river.I rounded around the baseball park then down toward the big arena to cross the street into the rivertrail and fought the wind  as I headed west on the trail.  I passed a couple other runners out there.  One guy was actually utilizing the exercise equipment installed along the sides of the trail....doing squats and pushups...walking the beam....overachiever... whatever.  I carried on and finally got to turn around to head back east and there is that amazing sensation that the wind just stops...It's pretty incredible.  Your facing this enormous headwind then you turn around and all of a sudden the wind stops and there is relative silence.  It's like a different day.  And you benefit from the push from behind but I'm forever reminded of this assistance as the ends of my hair whip around my face and stick to my lips. 

This bliss last until I have to turn south again and cross the Clinton Bridge.  I suddenly become aware of the amount of force that was pushing me from behind as it pushes me sideways toward the railing of the bridge.  I'm so happy there is a rail there.   The overhead structure groans and whistles with the wind.  I run up the hill and is again pushed by another gust of wind.  I feel so tiny like I could be picked up and pitched into the river at any time on any whim.  It was exhilarating and  scary at the same time. At one point I almost reached out for the railing to steady myself but I kept running.  I passed a couple guys who were on a ladder changing light bulbs.  That seemed scary.

Finally back in the safety of dry ground I headed back to the office.  It was a very successful run, and a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment