Thursday, January 17, 2013

Today's run


So recently I have taken to escaping the office during the work day to get out while the sun is high and the temperatures are warmer.  I keep one monitor affixed on Weather Underground temperature display as I do my work.  Normally optimum running time comes around 11:30 to 11:45.  That is when I'm able to break away and get just tired enough of my work to warrant jumping up and lacing up my running shoes. It also is when the temperature usually reaches its peak.  I'm happy when it's over 45 degrees and sunny out.  I think the sun does me good when running in the morning and evenings before and after work right now is done solely in the darkness.

Normally I start from my office and run down Capitol Avenue.  This presents me with some challenges as there is lots of construction right now and you have to jump across the street, watch for traffic then dodge the construction on the other side cause the sidewalk is closed and there is a big hole you can fall it.  Next you have to cross another street then traverse three very camouflaged steps in the sidewalk.  There are park benches and large concrete planters to run around as well as the lunchtime pedestrians.  Of course I don't hear anything because my iPod is blasting Cher Lloyd in my ears.  I know, not the safest or the best taste in music. sue me.


After that I run North to cross the Broadway bridge.  As I'm nearing the bridge I pass Robinson Center Music hall and imagine somebody famous is walking out of the backstage door.  After jumping a few curves I cross the old bridge.  This bridge is actually scheduled for demolition/refurbishment soon.  Its understandable since the side railings are so low if you took a tumble it would be easy to accidentally fall to your death in the river.  Also the road is too narrow for today's traffic and buses nearly blow you off balance as they pass, kicking up a whurrh of wind and dust that swirls around you.  Once you cross that death trap you reach Dickey Stephens field.  The brand new state of the art baseball facility build just north of the river in North Little Rock.  It's beautiful, actually.  With nice restaurants and lovely boxes and executive suites.  pristine grass, an outfield park and statues of famous baseball players in brass all around.  After that I run east toward Alltell Arena ahem...Verizon Arena...sorry.  Passing the Argenta district with its swanky art galleries, theaters, wine bars and restaurants.   After Alltel I cross onto the rivertrail and run west for a spell.  Depending on who much mileage I want I turn around at the three mile or three and a half mile mark here.

Heading back east I cross over the Clinton Bridge at the Clinton Library to come back south.  Then head west to the River market.  If  I'm hungry I stop in at this point and visit one of my favorite Greek eateries inside the rivermarket.  I can't remember the name but its the only Greek eatery inside there, you cant miss it.  I love running through the rivermarket, there are swarms of people and kids and students on fieldtrips to the Museum of Discovery.  Its so much fun to whiz by them all feeling strong and powerful.  I don't know why that is such a rush.  Then I head back south on Cumberland to the office where I usually make a detour to the subway restaurant for a mostly healthy lunch plus a cookie.  ok,....sue me..

No comments:

Post a Comment