Thursday, March 22, 2012

That was the past...

So that was my first marathon experience.  I went on to train and run the Midsouth Marathon that same year in November.  My training was better, I had friends pacing me on my 20 miler.  Sheila meet me an ran 10 miles with me.  I ran 5 on my own, then Debbie meet me for the last 5 miles. 

On race day my friend Cindy ran 4 to 13 miles with me and Hollowell ran 13 to 26 with me.  My finish: 4:43!  Well with in my goal.

I have to tell you that at mile 20 a fresh orange slice handed to you by a volunteer can be the most succulent of amazing foods you will ever eat.  Steve grabbed about 3 in each hand and handed them to me as we trecked down the highway.  He also mixed my Gatorade and water cocktails for me and shielded me from the wind.  I don't think it would have been as fun or easy with out the two of them. 

I also passed a former training buddy who scoffed at my desired finish time and running pace as too slow.  We did two training run together until he decided I was running too slow and he wanted to finish much faster than I was planning to finish and running-dumped me.   I passed him at mile 22.  He went out way too fast and died someplace between mile 13 and 18.  Every race after that I made it my personal mission to finish ahead of him. I beat him again the following year at Midsouth...again.

I took home an award that day also.  Second in my age division! 

This was also the first marathon I told my parents about.  They drove up with their RV and camped at the state park.  We grilled burgers that night and roasted marshmallows, of course it took me a while before I could eat.  The extra effort I put forth on this run truly made a difference on how I felt afterward.  I was unable to eat at all until 6:30 that evening, I felt nauseous during the awards presentations and nearly threw up the home baked cookie I had eaten post race.  I learned its a dangerous game you play with the long run and staying hydrated and nourished to the end.  Its a delicate line between awesome running and injury.  run to the end of that line, but be sure not to cross it....

No comments:

Post a Comment