Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Mill is Not Enough

So, running on a treadmill is great, but, for some reason my psyche seems to see the attainment of one goal as a reason to set a new one.  As for some reason you can't just stop and be satisfied with where you are, you need to become more.  I decided to move my running outdoors.  The exact timing of this event is unknown, the actual motivation is unknown.  But I found myself at two rivers park working to make it around the three mile loop without stopping to take a walk break. 

I would make the 30 minute drive from my home in North Little Rock to the park in West Little Rock and start out down the path.  I joined a running website for pointers on how to eat to fuel running versus eating to maintain a certain weight. 

When transitioning from treadmill to asphalt a lot of things become real to you.  The treadmill in no way compares to running on a road.  Treadmills use a motor to push you along, asphalt does not.  Treadmills have cushy surfaces, asphalt does not.  Treadmills are in climate controlled environments, asphalt is hot.  Treadmills stay in one place, keep the same scenery and bore you with the same routine every time you hop on, asphalt does not.  Asphalt takes you places....in more ways than one, thus began the traveling...

Of course the big trips were much farther in the future at that point.  This is the point where I was introduced to the world of road running and road racing by my cousin, Steve Hollowell.  ...

No comments:

Post a Comment