Monday, March 26, 2012

So Fast Forward

After running several marathons after that, my times continued to get better, until I peaked at 4 hours 10 minutes.  I was running in Carlsbad California, I had gone to San Diego with my mom and brother to visit my moms sister, Aunt Margaret.  We stayed with her then drove the Carlsbad the night before the marathon.  It was about a 45 minute drive.

I don't remember the start of this race.  At the time I was not even focused on running it quickly.  I was just running comfortably and kept a good pace along the California Coastline enjoying the views and the beautiful weather.  I remember the surfers coming up out of the ocean to take a break from their waves to cheer us on.  I also remember beautiful seas side homes, beach shacks and friendly aid stations.

I remember trying to keep my pace strong as I finished and tried to hang with a couple folks I had run several miles with and I did really well until the very end.  I had a strong finish and did not even realize how close I was coming to a real marathon landmark.  The sub 4 marathon.

That unattained goal would haunt me, yet that PR would stick with me until the winter of 2011...That's how long it took me to break that personal best in Carlsbad California.

No comments:

Post a Comment