Monday, October 22, 2012

Well, It's done!

So...all the training and preparation since March has lead to the following weekend. 

Friday morning my friend Tala and I set out toward Tahalaqua OK.  I had been repeatedly checking the weather all week to make sure I packed the proper clothing for running .  I printed the maps, set the location on my phone, printed my race registration, printed packet pickup info.  I packed clothes and all kinds of things for my drop bag. 

After testing and trying many different foods during my training, I ended up with things that either I never tried before, or things that got me through marathons.  I gathered snack sized bags of fig newtons (which I did not touch during the run for some reason after training all summer with them).  Gu with caffeine, candy corn and mixed nuts, honey stinger waffles and bottles with Pedialyte.  I picked up extra sling packs from my office using my safety bucks. 

I decided to have two drop bags, one that would stay at the start/finish line and another that would go out to mile 13.4 aid station.  I had extra socks, body glide, gu and snack pack pudding in each bag, plus a bottle of mixed up pedyalite. 

Easy, and straightforward. 

So we rolled into Tahlaquah and checked into our hotel.  We left to go get some lunch and a wonderful lunch place in downtown Tahlaquah called Vidalia's.  It is locally owned, paninis, baked potatoes, delicious desserts.  Nice and clean with a beautiful patio. 

We then did a little downtown shopping.  I made a new trail shoe purchase (which later turned out to be a great idea), and a few other things.  We then drove out to Eagle Bluff Resort (another great idea) to see how far of a drive we were looking at in the morning.

When we got back from our drive, it was time for packet pickup and we proceeded to the Presbyterian church where the tables with boxes of manilla envelopes, stacks of t-shirts, race bibs, and entry forms scattered tables. 

We quickly gathered our things, chatted with the organizers, asked a few questions and then took off back to our room to chill out for the evening. 

This is prep time.  The time to load up drop bags, pin on bibs, gather shoes and socks and get them organized for a stress free morning.  After the work was done we watched food network, charged our electronic devices and surfed the internet.  Very uneventful...that's the way we roll!

When 9:00 pm rolled around we finally slept.  setting our alarms for 5 am so I would have time to take a shower.  Then we went to sleep dreaming of finish lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment