Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The River Trail and Two Rivers Park

I'm so happy I live in a city that values trails, outdoor spaces and develops a culture that encourages fitness.  Little Rock has slowly but surely developed it's River Trail system to include 20 miles of running and biking trails.  We have built 4 bridges that connect Little Rock and North Little Rock, and Little Rock with Maumelle Park and Two Rivers Park. 

This morning I ran from a parking lot near my home, over one of those bridges to a place called two rivers park.  This place used to only be accessible by driving far out of town on Hwy 10 then more driving on country roads.  At that time, it was rarely used.  I used the park a lot when I was first learning how to run though.  I knew the narrow lolly pop shaped loop was three miles and started out by trying to run the entire thing without stopping.  I remember the first time I did it.  I was shocked that I just ran three miles without stopping.  Later I went on to do two loops, then three.  The day I ran 9 miles was a huge milestone for me.  And I did it all at two rivers park way before there was a bridge, any homes or trails out past the road turn around.  It was deserted, quiet, and filled with wildlife.

Now the wildlife is still there remarkably!  I'm delighted at how all the new foot traffic and visitors have not deterred the deer from grazing and raising their young in this space.  but now it seems so much closer to the city.  Connected to Midtown/West Little Rock by a foot bridge.  Pretty amazing.  It crowded on the weekends but the weekday mornings are still severely quiet with the sound of frogs croaking up from the swamps and summer bugs.  I don't know what they are but they make that low buzzing sound that reminds you of summer. 

So Here is where I ran this morning in the sticky thick humidity dripping from low hanging vines off branches stretched over the trail creating a soggy canopy.  green specks floating over the water and the musky smell of swamp. 

I love this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment